Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dante2377
Kobold
Kobold

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Potential New Player questions   Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm

So I saw the post buried in the PW thread on the bioware forums (FYI, you should post a separate thread about the server in the PW section there and update as you do server updates)....and loving dragonlance, I registered and checked out the forums.  

I had a few questions around the world and PC builds, more along the lines of "what do players wish they knew before they started about building PCs here?"  (as someone who likes to plan ahead, both for build and initial background, I like to have as many details as possible ahead of time)

1. I looked at the subraces - when it mentions stat adjustments, it just says "+ Str" and "-Dex", but not how much it actually adjusts.  Is that 1, 2?
  2. Healing - how readily available is healing and do you need the heal skill to really heal properly for non-clerics?
  3. For clerics - are the listed domains for each God suggestions or hard requirements?  Same question for favored weapon - do you have to use that weapon, do you get bonuses if you do?
  4. Are clerics automatically part of a Temple faction, or can they join the Solomnic Army for example?
  5. are any of the spells/feats modified....I tried searching around, but didn't see anything.
  6. Skill questions - are rogue skills (locks traps) required for exploring areas or can anyone wander effectively (assuming you dont mind risking death)?  Are scrolls restricted at all (e.g. is UMD a skill worth getting or is that not really part of this world - I know many RP servers limit this as "power gaming") or generally unavailable?
  7. Are there any rest restrictions?
  8. Are PCs who aren't part of a guild/faction limited, either in plot or gear?  e.g. a basic fighter/rogue type feeling out the environment?
  9. True Seeing, hide/ms, stealth - are stealthy PCs effective (e.g. is there a high preponderance of monsters with True Seeing or super high spot/listen, PC gear with the same, etc).

anyway thanks in advance for listening to my questions, thanks!

Dante
Back to top Go down
Anabelle
Hobgoblin
Hobgoblin

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:00 pm

[*]I looked at the subraces - when it mentions stat adjustments, it just says "+ Str" and "-Dex", but not how much it actually adjusts.  Is that 1, 2?

[*]It used to say the exacts, however we were forced to take that down because it is more of an RP mod, and people were choosing the subraces for the abilities. When it was posted it was taken advantage of too badle.

[*]Healing - how readily available is healing and do you need the heal skill to really heal properly for non-clerics?

[*]Healing is easily available for the most part, there are potions, scrolls, and even a book of healing if you can find it. 

[*]For clerics - are the listed domains for each God suggestions or hard requirements?  Same question for favored weapon - do you have to use that weapon, do you get bonuses if you do?

[*]Nope, no, and nada.

[*]Are clerics automatically part of a Temple faction, or can they join the Solomnic Army for example?

[*]Clerics can join whatever they wish, however the Solmanic Army won't have the clerical based gear.

[*]are any of the spells/feats modified....I tried searching around, but didn't see anything.

[*]No

[*]Skill questions - are rogue skills (locks traps) required for exploring areas or can anyone wander effectively (assuming you dont mind risking death)?  Are scrolls restricted at all (e.g. is UMD a skill worth getting or is that not really part of this world - I know many RP servers limit this as "power gaming") or generally unavailable?

[*]UMD is used and available, there isnt MUCH that needs to be picked that cant be bashed or knocked (the spell) just a few things,

[*]Are there any rest restrictions?

[*]No

[*]Are PCs who aren't part of a guild/faction limited, either in plot or gear?  e.g. a basic fighter/rogue type feeling out the environment?

[*]Factions have the better gear, but you can get others by crafting, however I suggest joining a guild because it can bring more role-play;

[*]True Seeing, hide/ms, stealth - are stealthy PCs effective (e.g. is there a high preponderance of monsters with True Seeing or super high spot/listen, PC gear with the same, etc).

[*]I dont think many monsters have True Seeing, besides bosses and such. PCs have it if they can cast it, or if they managed to get a few hard-to-find scrolls of it. 
Back to top Go down
Hiddukel
DM
DM

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Dante2377 wrote:
So I saw the post buried in the PW thread on the bioware forums (FYI, you should post a separate thread about the server in the PW section there and update as you do server updates)....and loving dragonlance, I registered and checked out the forums.  

I had a few questions around the world and PC builds, more along the lines of "what do players wish they knew before they started about building PCs here?"  (as someone who likes to plan ahead, both for build and initial background, I like to have as many details as possible ahead of time)

1. I looked at the subraces - when it mentions stat adjustments, it just says "+ Str" and "-Dex", but not how much it actually adjusts.  Is that 1, 2?
  2. Healing - how readily available is healing and do you need the heal skill to really heal properly for non-clerics?
  3. For clerics - are the listed domains for each God suggestions or hard requirements?  Same question for favored weapon - do you have to use that weapon, do you get bonuses if you do?
  4. Are clerics automatically part of a Temple faction, or can they join the Solomnic Army for example?
  5. are any of the spells/feats modified....I tried searching around, but didn't see anything.
  6. Skill questions - are rogue skills (locks traps) required for exploring areas or can anyone wander effectively (assuming you dont mind risking death)?  Are scrolls restricted at all (e.g. is UMD a skill worth getting or is that not really part of this world - I know many RP servers limit this as "power gaming") or generally unavailable?
  7. Are there any rest restrictions?
  8. Are PCs who aren't part of a guild/faction limited, either in plot or gear?  e.g. a basic fighter/rogue type feeling out the environment?
  9. True Seeing, hide/ms, stealth - are stealthy PCs effective (e.g. is there a high preponderance of monsters with True Seeing or super high spot/listen, PC gear with the same, etc).

anyway thanks in advance for listening to my questions, thanks!

Dante
All the answers Anabelle gave are spot just want to add to a few.

Adding to answer to Question 1: reason why the +/- to stats are not given is to prevent power builders from taking advantage of sub races bonus or avoiding them flat out because they would lose to much if they took a certain race.

Adding to answer to Question 4:
A Cleric can any church that there Aliment allows.they can join guilds of the same aliment or guilds that follow the same god. Or can stay just part as the as whole serving the church it self. Churches don't count as guild by them selves. SO can be part of a Church and be part of a guild.

Adding to answer to Question 5:
there are spells tweaked that have delays on them i.e. Knock spell has a delay on it that  wait about 15 seconds then locks are undone in the area of the effect. Greater Sanctuary spell has a cool down on it have to wait 90 secs before it can be castted again same with Time stop spell and this spell has been reduced to a small area of effect and very time it last those that are caught in the effect.  Epic spell: Hell Ball has visual effects added to it and there a chance that if could kill the caster. Epic Ruin Damage  has a slight increase and deals a lot of damage to undead players.

Adding to answer to Question 6:
there some areas no matter what unless have  caster with you the Knock spell a rogue is very much needed. And some traps can not be removed period with out a rogues touch. Locked Chest picked open grant Xp for unlocking them.

Adding to answer to Question 8: Char can use a combo of Shop and Guild Gear but can never have gear from two guilds.
Only exception to this is the Members of a certain Guild ( which we will not admit or deny such guild exist  Razz )

(thanks to very gifted scripter by the name Magi Cain, that made some very nice changes  to scripts and spell alike for the server when he was part of our staff.)

Fizban

Hiddukel - The Prince of Lies

Chemosh - The Lord of Bones

"DM says your going to die! Roll a d6!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54VJWHL2K3I

Back to top Go down
Clion Kilnor
DM
DM

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 pm

And above all Thank you for asking questions and taking a look at this server...

*runs and Hides from Dante*

or

Will you be running from me *evil laugh*

Zula Nightwind- Retired Grandmaster may he Rest in peace
Clion Kilnor - Founder of the Fighter's Academy
Richard Webber - Two sides to every story
Akroma - Hiddukel's Battle Priest, Shiv's Son
Back to top Go down
Dante2377
Kobold
Kobold

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 pm

ok. I was just asking because certain classes have feat stat prerequisites like wm needing 13 int and dex, bg needs 13 str, etc.
Back to top Go down
Dante2377
Kobold
Kobold

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 pm

another quick question - aren't the silvanesti allies with the dwarves?  I joined the hylar clan and i was exploring from tarsis toward the elves.  As I approached, the elves were blue and then all of a sudden turned red and attacked/killed me. 

Was that expected?  I remembered they eventually allied during the war of the lance during the books, but I know there's a different timeline...
Back to top Go down
Lord of War
Mountain Giant
Mountain Giant

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Hey I can awnser that for you man. I play Tyr and I forgot to tell you that the silvanesti are not with the dwarves.
Back to top Go down
Lord of War
Mountain Giant
Mountain Giant

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 pm

The Silvanesti attack everyone so don't worry but as a tip don't go to the silvanesti woods unless you want to go to the Abyss. Otherwise you will risk death.
Back to top Go down
Lord of War
Mountain Giant
Mountain Giant

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm

But the Qualinesti elves are the Hyalr's allies along with the Knights of Solomnia the last time I checked. When I get back on i will show where you can go to train so that way you don't die man.
Back to top Go down
Dante2377
Kobold
Kobold

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Lord of War wrote:
But the Qualinesti elves are the Hyalr's allies along with the Knights of Solomnia the last time I checked. When I get back on i will show where you can go to train so that way you don't die man.

thanks

FYI, I'm not afraid of dying, just the price of exploring...
Back to top Go down
Dante2377
Kobold
Kobold

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 am

another question, someone told me that you can be part of the Hylar clan as well as also belong to the fighter's guild.  I wanted to make sure that's 100% correct....
Back to top Go down
Dante2377
Kobold
Kobold

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 am

part of the Qualinesti were hostile to me - just the warriors, not the scouts.
Back to top Go down
Lord of War
Mountain Giant
Mountain Giant

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Um I would ask a DM about the guild stuff and I don't know why they are hostile towards you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential New Player questions   

Back to top Go down

Potential New Player questions
Page 1 of 1