View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kunou126
Hobgoblin
Hobgoblin

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: A couple things amiss in the setting   Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:44 am

I'm having considerable fun within the campaign setting here, but it feels like there are a few things out of place.

If I am not mistaken, this module is supposed to represent Krynn right at the start of the War of the Lance. The geopolitical implications are as follows:

Following the cataclysm, the gods stopped answering prayers. True healing hadn't been seen for some time. The Seekers are an organization that is searching for divine guidance, and upon not having found any decided to create false dieties. They began with the best of intentions and to create hope for humanity, but the false faith has made them rich and powerful. They are charlatans. When evidence that the gods have returned shows up and true healing is seen in the world, they stand the most to lose. During this time period they are not receptive to the return of the gods, as it exposes them for the frauds they actually are.

The seekers should be desperate right now to hold on to their crumbling church - not welcoming of the return of the gods.

With all the bickering of the gods, the three gods of magic have always left the bickering behind and stood united. While they do disagree from time to time with eachother, whenever someone stands up to threaten the art, they stand together united. So too do the mages react. They are the one organization that moves outside of political swings of the continents in pursuit of something more important.

Pre-cataclysm, the Kingpriest of Istar began a campaign against all evil. That an organization of mages would not purge the evil within their own ranks, they were all labelled corrupt. A campaign against the 5 mage towers ensued. The tower in Palanthas had already been abandoned. In the seiges against the remaining 4 towers, just before two of the towers fell, the mages detonated the two towers in massive explosions. The horror of these events still resonate in Krynn. The "corrupt" nature of all mages remains a label that sticks, even to the white robes. The Kingpriest granted the remaining mages a truce, but fearing the safety of Istar exiled the mages to Wayreth.

The tower in Istar was destroyed by the mountain in the cataclysm, so now there are only two towers left: Wayreth and Palanthas.

Just as the mages are feared by the populace, so too is the populace feared by the mages. Having only one last home in Wayreth, they tucked the tower into another dimension, and only open the portal to mages and very few guests. The mages remember what happens when the populace revolts against the art, and while they are extremely powerful and destructive - they are conscious of one thing: if preasured hard enough they will exhaust their spells and once that happens, they will fall. Mages in Krynn do not foster an attitude of "our power makes us invincible".

The last thing I'd like to note to evil players:

Unless you've walked into a town already subjugated by your armies or with a very large army your back, talking openly about enslaving people and committing acts of attrocity should be taboo in populated areas. It doesn't earn you brownie points with your political allies. Try to be more subtle. Talk instead like you know something more than the naive masses. Tell them vaguely that they are foolish, and perhaps even that they would be foolish if they oppose the will of your leadership. You don't need to detail the attrocities you've committed. At that point you go from being an fairly enigmatic and evil being to a poser who's telling tales to try to be feared. You instantly lose all of your evil charisma at that point because it is "acceptance seeking behavior". The cool bad guys don't need to convince people to fear them, they already know people fear them - and the ones that don't fear them are idiots who will eventually learn their folly.

Thats all I got. I look forward to more RP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A couple things amiss in the setting   Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:17 pm

cheers
*Gives thumbs up in agreement*
Back to top Go down
Hiddukel
DM
DM

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: A couple things amiss in the setting   Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Please keep in mind this version of DragonLance out come of the War of the Lance is not set in stone like the books. This world is being shaped by the players RP and events.

We are trying to keep the basic feel of DragonLance. Examples no kenders in the tower of high sorcery. We have the 5 wings of the dragon armies. We have Elven armies, the Knights of Solomina and more to come.

So please under stand.. is like Fizban said to the Heroes in the books.. I have merely set the stage the dialog was all yours.

Here the gods have set the stage..and the out come of the world is based on what people do.

Back to top Go down
kunou126
Hobgoblin
Hobgoblin

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: A couple things amiss in the setting   Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 pm

The future is maleable, that is understood. But that said, the past is written in ink.

Faith isn't something its easy to come out and say "oops... we were wrong" about. I'm not saying the seekers will fail, just that they would advise people not to worship the gods that have abandoned you once before and likely will do so again.
Back to top Go down
Clion Kilnor
DM
DM

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A couple things amiss in the setting   Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:22 pm

I am sure this mod has allot of things not following the books, hell I can name some but for me I would think it is a Custom dragonlance Based server. Follows the ideas of true dragonlance but like Hid said it's based off rp and events.

We are glad everyone is having fun with rp and events but we do like feedback too. The key in my eyes is to keep or make the server fun not soo much rules and well that didn't happen in the books type of thing. I mostly enjoy rping and speaking with friends.

just my two cents
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple things amiss in the setting   

Back to top Go down

A couple things amiss in the setting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1